Friday, June 17, 2011

Atlanta and Savannah

Dear Mike,















I'm sure that there are plenty of reasons to like Atlanta, I just can't think of any of them. It's hot, the traffic is terrible, and it has all the inconveniences of a big city without any of the charm. I'm glad it's a city we just had to pass through on our way down to Savannah.














As we traveled through the countryside, we ran across the Whistle Stop Cafe (of Fried Green Tomatoes fame), but it was so early that it wasn't even open for breakfast. So instead of a delicious breakfast, we just alerted a few early rising locals and a couple of dogs (one of which only had 3 legs).


---

We are currently in Savannah right now. Same heat, but heavier on the charm for sure. Two nights ago we camped at Skidaway island State park. The facilities were nice enough but Kristen has had a terrible cold for the last few days and the humidity made it hard for her to sleep. So, last night we checked into a hotel and saw some of historic downtown.

---

On a recommendation, we went to a restaurant called "Cha Bella". The chef grows a lot of his own vegetables and uses organic and free range animals in the dishes. Kristen had a roasted eggplant, plum tomato and fried goat cheese salad with a side of fried okra. I had chicken liver mousse with ciabatta and a sweet balsamic onion marmalade, and the risotto. Everything was delicious, the service was great and we got out of there for around $31 (not including the tip).












Today we plan on going back down to the river and checking out a few shops that were closed last night. I saw a shop called "ARC" that looked right up my alley and Kristen wanted to see a temporary exhibition of Manolo Blahnik's work that is up at one of the SCAD buildings.
After that we are off to Florida, where the adventure is really going to begin. Shrimpy is doing well, he sends his love.

~Mario

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad






Location:Hood St,Savannah,United States

3 comments:

  1. Dear Mario and Kristen,

    How was ARC? It looks completely up Mario's alley (down to the man purses and german style suspenders). Also, how would you rate your trip to Savannah overall? Pretty good? Excellent? Ok? I'm going to be there in August for work, and I've never been there. So, I'm curious.

    Hope all is well.

    Heart,

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mike,
    ARC was a perfect store for Mario. We need one in Greensboro. Savannah was good. It was really hot and humid (I know, duh!). I had a really hard time breathing since I was so congested. The city is beautiful! Lots of great restaurants and shops, plus you can walk around in the streets with your drinks. I think we need to go back to visit once I'm not feeling so crappy. Maybe in the fall (next year). You holding down Greensboro?
    Love, Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I love Savannah! I keep telling Mike we need to go (for my fifth visit, his first). We tried once, but failed. Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete